General contractor insurance

General Contractor Insurance

Save up to 30% on business insurance
Return to Quote

Business insurance for general contractors has never been easier

Next Insurance streamlines business insurance with coverage designed for small businesses and the self-employed
Get covered in less than 10 minutes and save up to 30%
Instant proof of insurance and easy monthly payments
Do it all 100% online or talk to a licensed U.S.-based advisor

General contractor insurance designed to protect your business

Next Insurance is a one-stop-shop to help you get the general contractor insurance you need to protect your business from accidents, injured employees, legal fees and damaged vehicles.  Our insurance packages typically include: 

  • General liability
  • Workers’ compensation
  • Commercial auto
  • Tools and equipment
  • Commercial property
Get a Quote
A one-stop-shop for general contractors business insurance

We’ll help you get the business insurance coverage you need

It’s all about managing your risk. See the different policies available for general contractors and save 10% when you bundle.
General Liability

General Liability

Bought by 95% of business owners like you
General liability insurance covers a wide range of construction accidents and basic risks. You’ll have financial protection if someone other than an employee gets hurt or you are held responsible for damaging property. Our coverage includes contractors' E&O.
Learn more
General liability can help you pay for:
Medical payments
Property damage
Legal fees and judgments
Commercial Auto

Commercial Auto

For business owners who own or drive vehicles
Most states require commercial auto insurance for business-owned vehicles to help pay for medical expenses and property damage. Personal auto insurance usually won’t provide coverage if you drive your own truck to a job site.
Learn more
Commercial auto can help you pay for:
Property damage
Collision repairs
Rental reimbursement
Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ Compensation

For business owners who hire employees
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial protections for workplace injuries. Most states require it as soon as you hire your first employee, and you might need coverage before you can get your contractor license. It can help pay for medical bills and lost wages after an accident.
Learn more
Workers’ compensation can help you pay for:
Medical care
Lost wages
Employer liability
Tools & Equipment

Tools & Equipment

Protection for your gear and equipment
Tools and equipment coverage makes sure your gear is protected wherever you keep it — in your vehicle, in a trailer or at a job site. If you don’t have real estate and your tools are worth less than $10,000 you can buy tools & equipment insurance instead of commercial property insurance. This coverage is available as an add-on to our general liability insurance.
Learn more
Tools & equipment can help you pay for:
Equipment owned by you
Employee tools and clothing
Borrowed equipment
Commercial Property

Commercial Property

For business owners who own or rent physical spaces
Property insurance can help protect your business equipment, inventory and your building if you own it. If you own real estate or tools worth over $10,000 commercial property insurance offers better protection than tools & equipment insurance.
Learn more
Commercial property can help you pay for:
Damaged or stolen property
Lost income
Operating expenses

Save up to 30% on General Contractor insurance

Choose from three levels of protection to get the coverage you need.
You can pay for your insurance package on a monthly or annual basis and you can cancel instantly at any time.

How much does general contractor insurance cost?

General contractor insurance costs vary based on the risks that your business faces, such as:

  • The types of projects you work on
  • Where your projects are located
  • Your payroll and the kinds of jobs our employees do
  • The number and types of vehicles you use at work

General contractors save up to 30%, depending on the kind of work that’s done. More risky professions can expect to pay more.

Get a Quote

General contractor insurance requirements

General contractors are almost always required to have insurance due to the risk of injury and property damage. You might need insurance to:

  • Get a general contractor license. Learn more about the license rules in your state.
  • Win a bid or start work on a project. Clients and local governments might ask you to have active insurance — usually general liability or workers’ compensation.
  • Hire employees or subcontractors. Most states require workers’ compensation.
  • Drive for business purposes. Business-owned vehicles typically need commercial auto insurance.
  • Repair or replace property you own or rent. Protect your inventory, equipment and even the building that you lease or own.
Get a Quote

Need a fast certificate of insurance?

Get covered and share your COI in minutes
Start Instant Quote

Frequently asked questions about business insurance

Here are some of the most common questions we get about general contractor insurance. If you don’t find the answers you need here, our licensed, U.S.-based insurance advisors are standing by to help via online chat or phone.

How does business insurance protect general contractors?

Our contractor insurance packages are designed to protect your business from a variety of risks and help you save money to grow your business. You’ll be protected from financial losses related to:

Damage to someone’s property

Your ladder slips and crashes through a living room window. The general liability coverage in your insurance package would help pay for a replacement.

Accidents that hurt someone

A distracted homeowner trips over your extension cord breaks their ankle and sues you. Your general liability coverage would also come into play here by helping to pay for medical costs and legal fees.

Workplace injuries

Your employee has to get medical care and cancel some jobs after they slip and cut their finger with a drill. Workers’ compensation insurance with business owner’s coverage can help cover medical bills and lost wages. Workers’ comp is usually required by law if you have employees.

Injuries and damage involving your business vehicles

You get into a fender bender with your work truck that was ruled your fault. Commercial auto insurance will help pay for the repairs and some of the rental costs, depending on the policy limits. This coverage is also usually required by law for business-owned vehicles.

Theft or damage to your tools

Motor failure puts your compressor out of commission. The tools and equipment insurance that is optional with your general liability coverage can help pay for replacement and repair costs.

Damage to your own property

A water pipe bursts in your office and floods the entire space. Property insurance can help with replacement or repair costs if your owned or leased property is damaged due to a covered event, such as fire, tornado or vandalism.

I’m a general contractor, does this insurance allow me to hire subcontractors?

Yes! We do require that your subcontractors have the legally required licenses, their own insurance with limits that are equal to or greater than your own, and that they have you named as an additional insured on their policy. You’ll also need to keep this documentation on file for an adjuster to review in case of a claim.

I need to add a General Contractor or employer as an additional insured, can I do that with this policy?

Absolutely! We know this is a common need for contractors, so we’ve given you the power to create certificates of insurance and add additional insureds right from your customer account, 24/7, with Live Certificates. You can read more about our Live Certificates and how they work here. If your contractor needs special language on the certificate or other forms (called endorsements), please send a sample certificate to and an agent will be happy to review those requirements with you.

What is Contractors’ Errors and Omissions coverage?

Contractor’s Errors & Omissions coverage is intended to protect against faulty work or accidental damage to your product. This coverage is important if you work on a property that belongs to a third party but is in your care during the job, or if you construct products for your clients and want coverage in case mistakes are later discovered.

I subcontract out all of my work. Am I still eligible for a quote and policy?

Of course! In this case, we recommend filling out an application for our General Contractor policy. Please review the subcontractor requirements carefully, so that in case of a claim, you’ll have all of the necessary paperwork.