Table of Contents
- What is General Liability insurance coverage?
- Does Ohio require General Liability insurance?
- What small business might need General Liability insurance in Ohio?
- How much does General Liability insurance cost in Ohio?
- How NEXT helps Ohio small business owners
What is General Liability insurance coverage?
With nearly 1 million small businesses employing 2.2 million workers in Ohio, the state depends on these companies to keep the economy going. And most of these businesses rely on Ohio general liability insurance to stay safe.1
- Costs if someone (other than an employee) says that your business caused them bodily injury.
- Expenses if someone (other than one of your employees) says you damaged or destroyed their property.
- The financial burden if you’re held responsible for advertising injury or reputational harm.
Does Ohio require General Liability insurance?
Ohio doesn’t mandate general liability insurance for small businesses, but coverage is recommended to help your business stay safe, win new business and thrive. Coverage can help your business with:
Licenses and permits
General liability coverage can help pay expenses and keep your business running if things go wrong. If you’re accused of causing personal injury, damaging someone’s property or have to defend your business in a lawsuit, it can help minimize out-of-pocket costs.
Some clients may ask for proof of insurance before they’ll let you bid on their project or hire you for a job. Ohio liability coverage helps demonstrate your professionalism.
A general liability policy can help you rent an office, warehouse, retail storefront or commercial space. Many landlords will ask for a coverage before they’ll offer you a lease.
What small business might need General Liability insurance in Ohio?
Contracting professions, including general contractors, electricians, HVAC, hydronics, plumbing and refrigeration workers, are required to carry general liability coverage to be licensed in the state of Ohio.2
Ohio home inspectors are also required to provide a certificate of insurance for their general liability policy to receive their license from the state.3
How much does General Liability insurance cost in Ohio?
The cost of general liability coverage in Ohio varies depending on your business operations. Insurance carriers consider a number of factors when pricing your policy, including:
- Where your business is located
- The kind of work you do
- How many people you employ
- The policy limits you select
- You insurance claims history
More than half of NEXT customers pay $45 or less a month for their commercial general liability insurance.**
The easiest way to know how much you’ll pay is to get a free instant quote from NEXT. It takes less than ten minutes, and you’ll be able to purchase your policy online.
You can also use our liability insurance calculator for a general estimate of insurance costs in Ohio.
How NEXT helps Ohio small business owners
We offer a fast and easy way for you to get a free general liability insurance quote online, purchase coverage and instantly share a certificate of insurance. The entire process usually takes less than 10 minutes.
You can also chat with our Ohio–based NEXT licensed agents if you need help or have questions.