Mon – Fri | 6 a.m. – 5 p.m. PT

General Contractor

Utah general contractor license and insurance requirements

Ashley Henshaw image
By Ashley Henshaw
Oct 18, 2021 min read

Planning to do construction work in Utah? You’ll need to get a Utah contractor’s license.

In addition to protecting your business, a Utah general contractor’s license can boost your profit potential by helping you land bigger jobs. Without a license, you’re limited to projects valued at less than $3,000.

There are a number of steps you may need to complete to get your contractor’s license, including:

  • Determine your license classification
  • Register your business
  • Pass a business and law exam
  • Submit an application
  • Pay licensing fees
  • Get business insurance

Although Utah has strict requirements for general contractors, we’re here to help you every step of the way. Read more about how the licensing process works and what you’ll need to do before submitting an application.

Who is required to have a Utah general contractor’s license?

According to Utah’s state laws, anyone who works in the construction, plumbing or electrical trades is a contractor. If your work falls into one of these categories, you’ll need to get a professional license from the state.

Utah state contractor’s license classifications

Utah offers several contractor classifications, including the following general contractor classifications:

  • B100 General contractor
  • R100 Residential/small commercial contractor
  • E100 General engineering contractor
  • E200 General electrical contractor
  • E201 Residential electrical contractor
  • P200 General plumbing contractor
  • P201 Residential plumbing contractor

In addition, there are specialty contractor license classifications, such as:

  • S220 Carpentry and flooring contractor
  • S260 Asphalt and concrete contractor
  • S280 Roofing contractor
  • S330 Landscape and recreation contractor
  • S350 HVAC contractor

Review the entire list of Utah contractor license classifications to determine which one fits the type of work that you do.

Utah general contractor license requirements

Before you apply to become a general contractor or subcontractor in Utah, you’ll need to fulfill the following requirements:

Complete a pre-license course

Specialty contractors must take a 25-hour course, while general, plumbing, and electrical contractors must take a 30-hour course. You can choose from a list of approved course providers.

Obtain a certificate of insurance

All licensed contractors in Utah must have general liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $100,000 per incident and $300,000 total. After purchasing coverage, you’ll receive a certificate of insurance. You’ll need to list the Utah Department of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) as a certificate holder. (Tip: NEXT lets you add certificate holders easily online. No need to call your agent.)

Register your business

Apply to become an LLC, LLP, corporation or partnership with the Utah Department of Commerce. For sole proprietorships, licenses are issued under the applicant’s name.

Obtain a federal EIN

You’ll also need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. Sole proprietors may use their Social Security Number (SSN) instead.

Additional requirements for general contractors

If you are applying for a B100, E100 or R100 classification, you’ll also need to:

  • Document your work experience: You need at least two years or 4,000 hours of paid work experience in the construction industry. There are some accepted substitutions, such as a two- or four-year degree in Construction Management.
  • Pass a business and law exam: Certain applicants may bypass this requirement with previous experience as a licensed contractor.

Additional requirements for electrical and plumbing contractors:

If you are applying for an E200, E201, P200 or P201 classification, you’ll also need to:

  • Be a Master Electrician or Master Plumber: Provide your license number on the application.
  • Pass a business and law exam: In most cases, previous experience as a licensed plumber or electrician is an acceptable substitute.

How to apply for a Utah contractor license

Once you’ve met the Utah contractor license requirements, it’s time to submit your application. Forms for Utah contractor license applications are available online

Submit your application by mail or drop it off in person at the Utah Department of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) in Salt Lake City. Wait four to six weeks before checking on the status of your application.

The number of classifications you’re applying for will determine your application fee. Follow the application instructions to calculate your total fees and correctly make out the check.

Utah contractor license endorsements

There are no Utah contractor’s license reciprocity agreements currently available. However, you may be able to apply for licensure by endorsement if you already have a contractor's license in another state.

In order to be eligible, your contractor license must be valid, active and in good standing for at least one year in a qualifying state or jurisdiction. Contractor licenses from select states are equivalent to a Utah license. In others, the endorsement only applies to certain license classifications, such as electrical, plumbing or HVAC.

To obtain this endorsement, submit an official verification of your license with your application.

Utah contractor license renewal

All Utah contractor licenses expire on November 30 of odd-numbered years (2021, 2023, 2025, etc.). To renew your license, you need to fulfill these requirements:

Business insurance for Utah general contractors

In addition to a contractor's license, Utah business owners must obtain the proper insurance. (Minimum coverage of $100,000 per incident and $300,000 total.) The following types of insurance are either required or recommended for Utah contractors:

General liability insurance

General liability insurance covers a wide range of basic risks for contractor businesses. All Utah contractors must show proof of this insurance coverage in their license application.

Workers’ compensation insurance

This insurance provides coverage when you or an employee gets hurt on the job. Utah contractors who have employees are required by law to have proof of workers’ compensation insurance with the DOPL listed as a certificate holder. 

Errors and omissions insurance

Also called professional liability or E&O insurance, this coverage can help with legal defense fees and other costs if you’re accused of making a mistake on the job.

Commercial auto insurance

If you have a business-owned vehicle, you’ll need commercial auto insurance. When an accident occurs, you’ll have coverage for medical expenses, repairs, rental reimbursements and more.

Tools and equipment insurance

If something happens to your gear, tools and equipment insurance provides the coverage you need to replace or repair stolen or damaged items.

Commercial property insurance

Utah contractors who own or rent real estate connected to their business, such as a storage space for equipment, need commercial property insurance to provide protection against accidents, theft and other incidents.

How NEXT Insurance supports Utah general contractors

NEXT specializes in insurance for small businesses like yours, which makes us a great resource for all your general contractor insurance needs. We can create a custom insurance package based on your specific business, and you’ll get a discount for combining two or more policies.

Applying is easy with our online services. We can even help you with your application requirements by providing a Certificate of Insurance within minutes.

Get an instant quote today to see how much you can save by choosing NEXT for your Utah contractor insurance.

Find more information on general contractor license requirements in other states.

Ashley Henshaw image
By Ashley Henshaw
Ashley Henshaw is a contributing writer at NEXT Insurance and a writer and editor at BrainBoost Media. She specializes in small business topics, covering everything from insurance and branding to web hosting and cryptocurrency. Her work is focused on helping independent business owners and entrepreneurs access the tools they need to succeed.
Check Prices
Check Prices