Are you meeting construction contractor insurance requirements?

Are you meeting construction contractor insurance requirements?

Kim Mercado
By Kim Mercado
Nov 23, 2022
1 min read

Whether you’re a one-person sole proprietor or have dozens of employees working for you, you probably know that you need insurance if you’re in the construction business. But construction contractor insurance requirements can be difficult to figure out, varying from state to state and profession to profession.

For instance, a plumber who can work in one place without a license could cross state lines and be required to have one. So what can you do to ensure you have the coverage you need?

No worries. We’ll walk you through assessing your business risks. Then we’ll review basic construction contractor insurance requirements and discuss other common insurance people in your industry find useful.

Figuring out your coverage needs

To begin with, it’s a good idea to put a little thought into the nature of your small business. What type of jobs do you do? How many employees do you have? Is any of that going to change soon — are you planning to grow your business significantly or plan to scale it down?

It also helps to think about what a typical day looks like. Do you drive to and from job sites a lot, or are you fairly stationary? Do you keep most of your tools in a work vehicle, a shed or an office somewhere? Who are your clients? Generally, commercial clients may require you to have more coverage than residential.

You’ll need to consider whether you’re doing new construction, working on existing structures, subcontracting, and more.

When you’ve got this information, it’s time to consider what types of construction insurance you need. More accurately, differentiate what types of construction insurance are required by law and which types of insurance are simply a good idea?

What construction insurance is required?

When it comes to construction contractor insurance requirements, some are an actual legal obligation. That is, if you’re working in the construction industry, you are legally required to have them to do your job. The most common ones are:

General Liability insurance

Commercial general liability insurance covers you from common accidents that may occur on the job. These include bodily injury to third parties, damage to the property where you’re working, advertising injury and personal injury like slander.

Say you’re renovating a client’s home, and your ladder slips and crashes through their living room window. You may have broken the window, but the homeowner’s trust in you doesn’t have to shatter. Your general liability coverage would help pay for a replacement window and any other property damage incurred.

General liability is the most common type of insurance any business needs and is first in building construction insurance requirements.

Workers’ Compensation

Better known as workers’ comp, this insurance covers you in case a worker is injured or becomes ill on the job. You may think that general liability covers bodily injury, but remember — it covers third parties or non-employees. Worker’s comp is the coverage that protects your employees up to the policy limits.

Workers’ compensation insurance will pay the worker’s wages and medical expenses if an incident occurs. Without this insurance, a business owner might be responsible for covering costs out of pocket, sometimes up to tens of thousands of dollars.

To note, every state has different workers’ comp requirements, so it’s important to check local laws to ensure you’re in compliance.

Professional liability insurance

Depending on your projects, professional liability coverage may be required insurance with your clients — especially with government contracts. Also known as errors & omissions (E&O) insurance or contractor indemnity insurance, this coverage protects your business against civil lawsuits and negligence claims related to professional mistakes, whether you actually made them or a client just thinks you did.

For instance, say you’re an HVAC technician, and a client accuses you of installing an air conditioner in the wrong window. Professional liability coverage helps you defend yourself if you’re accused of making a mistake that causes someone to lose money. 

Commercial Auto insurance

Whether your vehicle is essential for daily operations or something you only occasionally use for work, you need commercial auto insurance customized for your business. Most states will require that business-owned vehicles are insured for certain types of accidents.

Even if you only have one car for all your transportation needs, you’re exposed to different risks when you drive for business than when you drive for personal reasons. Your personal auto insurance may not cover work-related incidents, so you may need the more extensive coverage that is provided in a commercial auto policy.

Optional construction insurance and coverage

Some construction insurance requirements are more flexible than others. Some you will need on a per-job basis because your customer requires them. Others are recommended as a good business practice.

These include (but are not limited to):

Tools & equipment insurance

Also known as inland marine insurance, tools and equipment insurance is a smart choice for anyone who brings their own equipment to different locations to get a job done.

If your tools are stolen, lost or damaged, this coverage will get you back to work fast by paying for replacements or repairs. So if someone decides to break into your work van while you’re buying lunch, your gear is still protected, all the time, everywhere.

Commercial property insurance

Most people think of property insurance as the domain of homeowners and renters. But as a construction business, you could use it, too, to protect your physical assets. 

These include your office space, warehouse, building materials, equipment and tools. Say a pipe bursts and floods your office. Property insurance can help with replacement or repair costs if your owned or leased property is damaged due to a covered event, such as fire, tornado or vandalism.

Additional insured endorsements

An additional insured is an individual or organization insured under your purchased business insurance policy. The additional insured has the same coverage as you do. Designating an additional insured doesn’t change your coverage; it just extends your liability coverage to other parties.

If you’re a general contractor (GC), many owners may ask to be named an “additional insured” on your general liability coverage. Or, if you’re a subcontractor, the GC will often require you to add them as an additional insured on your general liability of commercial auto policies.

Basically, making the owner or GC an additional insured gives them added protection for any liabilities you bring to their business.

Builder’s risk insurance

Sometimes called course of construction insurance, this specialized coverage protects the property and materials during a construction project.

When multiple parties start working on a project, the GC will purchase the insurance and become the primary insured, adding subcontractors and the building owner as additional insured. Or depending on contractual terms, sometimes the building owner is responsible for purchasing this coverage.

Builder’s risk insurance protects construction sites when damaged or destroyed by fires, natural disasters, explosions, vandalism and other accidents. 

How much does contractor construction insurance cost?

The short answer: it depends on many factors. For example, what type of construction business do you have? Plumber’s insurance will differ from carpenter insurance. The starting cost for general contractor insurance can vary greatly.

The cost depends on factors such as:

  • The insurance provider you choose
  • The level of coverage you want
  • The size of your business
  • Where you are located
  • What sort of work you do 

Generally, you’ll pay higher premiums for a higher per occurrence limit or aggregate limit (per year). Deductibles can also vary depending on your insurance company. 

When choosing your policy, consider the limits, coverage and payouts rather than shopping on price alone. You need to understand the full package.

NEXT protects construction contractors and subcontractors

NEXT is dedicated to helping contractors thrive at every level. 

We can help you easily find insurance coverage for general liability, workers’ compensation and more. 

It only takes about 10 minutes to customize your coverage, purchase a policy and print your certificate of insurance

Start an instant quote online today.

banner get business insurance in 10
Kim Mercado
About the author
Kim Mercado is a content editor at NEXT's blog, where she writes and edits posts for small business owners. She enjoys helping entrepreneurs solve their business challenges and learn about insurance. Kim has contributed to Salesforce, Samsara and Google.

You can find Kim trying new recipes and cheering the 49ers.

What we cover
Chat with Us

Mon – Fri | 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT

© 2024 Next Insurance, Inc. 975 California Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304, United States
Better Business Bureau
Issuance of coverage is subject to underwriting. Not available in all states. Please see the policy for full terms, conditions and exclusions. Coverage examples are for illustrative purposes only. Your policy documents govern, terms and exclusions apply. Coverage is dependent on actual facts and circumstances giving rise to a claim. Next Insurance, Inc. and/or its affiliates is an insurance agency licensed to sell certain insurance products and may receive compensation from insurance companies for such sales. Policy obligations are the sole responsibility of the issuing insurance company. Refer to Legal Notices section for additional information.

Any starting prices or premiums represented before an actual customer quote are not guaranteed and are representations of existing premiums of active policies as of December 6, 2023. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten, not all applicants may qualify. Individual rates and savings vary and are subject to change. Discounts and savings are available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. Certain discounts apply to specific coverages only.