Can home gym equipment be covered by commercial insurance?
Can commercial insurance help cover your home gym equipment? Learn about coverage options and limitations for businesses and personal use.
Updated May 29, 2023.
The answer is yes — in specific cases, depending on the terms of your chosen insurance policy. For instance, if you use your home gym equipment for business purposes, such as personal training sessions or filming income-generating exercise videos, it may be possible to include your equipment as part of your commercial insurance policy. But if it is solely for personal use, the commercial policy most likely will not provide coverage and may need to be added to a separate homeowner's insurance policy.
» Find out how to become an online fitness trainer
Types of commercial insurance for home gym equipment
The types of commercial insurance that may cover home gym equipment include:
- Commercial property insurance: This can help cover equipment breakdowns or theft. However, if someone you train gets injured during a session at your home gym, this policy cannot help cover any medical or legal fees.
- General liability insurance: This can help provide aid for liability claims and third-party harm that occurs at your home gym. But, if you do not own the property or equipment, this policy cannot offer financial support for damage or theft.
- Business owner's policy (BOP): This combines commercial property insurance and general liability insurance and includes the protection both of these can provide.
Some policies may limit the types or value of equipment that can be covered. Others may exclude coverage for certain activities or events that increase the risk of damage or injury.
How to get coverage for your home gym equipment
To help choose coverage for home gym equipment under commercial insurance, here are some steps you can take:
- Contact a reliable insurance provider to ask if they can include home gym equipment under a commercial insurance policy.
- Be prepared to provide a detailed inventory of your equipment with proof of ownership and value.
- Consider adding a rider or endorsement to your policy specifically for the home gym equipment.
- Ensure that you follow all safety guidelines and procedures for the equipment to lower the risk of accidents or injuries that may affect your coverage.
Get the right coverage for your home gym equipment
The biggest deciding factor for commercial coverage is whether you use your home gym equipment for business purposes, like professional personal training. If you do, it's understandable that you would want to mitigate risks that could jeopardize you and your business.
NEXT can help you find a commercial coverage plan customized to your needs to assist in minimizing financial strain due to unfortunate occurrences, like damages or third-party injuries. And in just a few minutes, you can receive an instant quote online, purchase coverage and share your certificate of insurance.