What type of insurance do I need as a self-employed interior designer?

Find out which insurance types are great options for self-employed interior designers.

Aditya Raghunath - Writer for NEXT Insurance
By Aditya Raghunath
Kelly Hendrickse - editor for NEXT Insurance
Edited by Kelly Hendrickse
Matt Crawford for NEXT Insurance
Fact-check by Matt Crawford

Published June 19, 2023.

As a self-employed interior designer, your creative flair brings spaces to life. However, every project has potential risks, ranging from accidental property damage to client disputes. And with the industry's employment up by 4.2% since 2018, it's an opportune time to make sure you're safeguarding your business and protecting its growth.

With the right interior designer insurance, you can focus on your work without worry.

Types of insurance for self-employed interior designers

Interior designer insurance can be made up of multiple policies.

General Liability insurance

This policy can cover:

  • Third-party bodily injury
  • Property damage
  • Personal and advertising injury claims

For example, if a client is injured due to your equipment, this can help cover the costs. Also, it's often required by residential and commercial clients.

Errors and Omissions (E&O) insurance

This coverage offers protection against:

  • Claims of negligence
  • Professional mistakes

For instance, if a client alleges that you installed the wrong window treatments, this can help cover legal fees and potential settlements.

» Find out more about the types of defense to negligence claims

Commercial Property insurance

If you own or rent a workspace or house with expensive design equipment, this can help save you from financial losses. It can cover damages to your workspace or equipment due to:

  • Fires
  • Windstorms
  • Theft
  • Other covered events

Workers' Compensation insurance

Even as a self-employed interior designer, this policy may be required if you have other employees. It can provide coverage for:

  • Employees' medical expenses
  • Lost wages

Workplace injuries can occur unexpectedly, even in a seemingly safe environment like an interior design studio. For instance, if an employee slips at your studio while carrying supplies to a storage room and gets injured, this policy can help.

Commercial Auto insurance

If you have a vehicle for work-related tasks, like driving to and from clients' homes, this policy can help with cover for:

  • Collision repairs
  • Medical fees
  • Property damage caused by motor collisions

For example, if you crash into a neighbor's front fence, this coverage can help with any medical bills you may have and repair or replacement costs for the fence.

Interior designer insurance for your business

To help protect your livelihood and your business's reputation, interior designer insurance can be a wonderful investment. So, why not reduce risks with the right insurance so you can focus on your designs and clients?

With NEXT, you can get fast, affordable business insurance customized to your specific business needs. Simply apply online and get an instant quote in less than 10 minutes. Once you've chosen your coverage, you can get a certificate of insurance and share it 24/7 with the NEXT app.

NEXT: Tailored Small Business Insurance

4.7/5(5,056 reviews)