How does an insurance claim work?
The process for filing an insurance claim may vary depending on the type of coverage and the extent of the loss, but the typical process goes like this:
- You report the event. You contact your insurance company and tell them what happened. This includes details about the incident and the damages or losses you’ve experienced. It could be any type of covered event like a car accident, house fire or stolen items.
- Your insurance company investigates the claim. The insurance company looks into your claim to make sure it’s valid and falls within your coverage. If necessary, they may ask for extra information or evidence like pictures, police reports or medical records.
- You receive a payment. If your claim is approved, the insurance company can either make a direct payment to you to help cover losses or damages, or they can pay for these on your behalf. This can cover repairs, medical bills or other related costs.
What happens if your insurance claim isn’t approved?
If your insurance company denies your claim, they’ve determined it falls outside of your coverage. In that case, your insurance company should explain why your claim was denied, including which policy terms weren’t met.
If you disagree with this, you can appeal the decision. Each insurance company will have a specific process, so make sure you follow each step carefully.
Finally, you can go the insurance arbitration route and request an independent review. After assessing the entire situation, the arbitrator’s final decision is binding.
Tips for a successful insurance claim
- Make sure you clearly understand what your policy covers because the outcome of your claim depends on the terms and conditions outlined there. In particular, review your exclusions and coverage limits.
- Report incidents promptly and provide all the necessary information to reduce any delays.
- Prepare clear, honest and detailed information in your proof of loss form to give your insurer the best evidence of your loss.
Let NEXT be there for your business
At NEXT, we’re 100% dedicated to small businesses. With 24/7 access to your policies, you’ll always be prepared for whatever comes your way. All you have to do is apply online and follow the prompts to access your custom instant quote in 10 minutes.
Start a free instant quote with NEXT.