Next Insurance
Massachusetts general contractor license and insurance requirements

Massachusetts general contractor license and insurance requirements

By Ashley Henshaw
May 11, 2022
9 min read

Massachusetts is a great place to be a general contractor. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, it ranks among the top-paying states for this profession, with an annual average salary of $122,320 — over $14,000 more than the national average for construction managers.1

But if you want to work as a general contractor in Massachusetts, you may need a professional license issued by the state. Navigating the process can be a little complicated, which is why we’ve created this helpful guide to walk you through it. Get the details on how to get your general contractor license in Massachusetts, including:

Do you need a license to be a general contractor?

Massachusetts general contractors who work on buildings of less than 35,000 cubic feet must have a license issued by the Office of Public Safety and Inspections.2 In some cases, you may also need to register as a home improvement contractor through the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation.3

Types of general contractor licenses

There are two main types of Massachusetts general contractor licenses:

Unrestricted construction supervisor license (CSL) 

This type of license covers work on buildings of less than 35,000 cubic feet, one- and two-family dwellings, buildings and structures for agricultural use, and walls less than 10 feet.

Restricted construction supervisor license (CSL) 

This license solely covers work on one- and two-family dwellings.

Additionally, there are a number of specialty CSLs available:

  • Masonry
  • Roof covering
  • Windows doors sliding
  • Solid fuel-burning appliance
  • Demolition
  • Insulation

The type of Massachusetts construction supervisor license that you need from the Office of Public Safety and Inspections will depend on the type of construction work that you do. 

Home improvement contractor registration

All general contractors who work on residential contracting projects must register as a home improvement contractor (HIC) with the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation. 

This registration covers home improvement work on existing one- to four-unit, owner-occupied residential properties.

How to get a general contractor license in Massachusetts

To get your Massachusetts contractor license or complete your home improvement contractor registration, follow these steps.

How to apply for a Massachusetts construction supervisor license

You must apply for your CSL by mail. When filling out your Massachusetts general contractor license application, be sure to complete the following steps:

  • Choose your construction supervisor license type
  • Verify your work experience
  • Submit the candidate exam registration form

Once your application has been submitted, you must call Prometric, which administers the licensing exams, to schedule your exam date. 

How to register as a Massachusetts home improvement contractor

General contractors can register as a HIC online, by mail or in person at the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation in Boston. To complete the registration process, you’ll need to submit one of the following documents:

  • If registering as an individual/sole proprietor: A copy of your business certificate issued by your local city or town clerk
  • If registering as a corporation: A current filing with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth Corporations Division

You must also pay a $150 registration fee plus a mandatory payment based on the size of your company:

  • 0-3 employees: $100
  • 4-10 employees: $200
  • 11-30 employees: $300
  • 30+ employees: $500

Massachusetts general contractor license requirements

While Massachusetts contractors' licenses have work experience and exam requirements, these requirements do not apply to HIC registration.

Massachusetts construction supervisor license requirements

To be eligible for a CSL, you must fulfill the following requirements:

Have previous construction work experience

You must have three years of work experience in building construction or design to be eligible for a CSL. The work experience does not have to be continuous, but it must be full-time work from the past 10 years. 

Active construction-related military experience may be considered full-time work.

To verify this experience, you must submit relevant tax forms or a notarized letter of attestation from an employer, engineer, architect, licensed contractor or other qualified individual stating that you have the required experience.

Potential substitutions for the work experience requirement include:

  • One year of work experience: Successful completion of a three- or four-year vocational school program in building construction, or a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
  • Two years of work experience: Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in architecture or science, engineering or technology in a related field

Pass the licensing exam

After submitting your application, you must take the computer-based licensing exam at a Prometric testing location. The exam is primarily based on the contents of the Commonwealth’s Building Code.

You’ll receive your results immediately following the exam. After passing the exam, you must mail your score report to the Office of Public Safety and Inspections.

Massachusetts home improvement contractor requirements

The only requirement to register as a HIC in Massachusetts is the proper documentation for your business as detailed above.

How long does it take to get your general contractor license?

After submitting your CSL application, you must allow 10 days for processing before scheduling your licensing exam. After mailing in your score report from the exam, it takes approximately 30 days for a license card to be issued.

If you’re registering as a home improvement contractor, your registration will arrive in the mail within one to two weeks after you’ve submitted the required documents and fees.

General contractor license renewal requirements

Massachusetts CSLs expire every two years. You must pay a $100 fee and complete continuing education courses in order to renew your license. These courses should cover the following topics: code review, workplace safety, business practices/workers’ compensation, energy and lead-safe practices. 

The required number of course hours varies according to the type of license you have:

  • Unrestricted CSL: 12 hours
  • Restricted CSL: 10 hours
  • Specialty CSL: 6 hours

Massachusetts home improvement contractor registrations also expire every two years. You must pay a $100 fee and provide either a current copy of your business certificate (for individuals/sole proprietors) or a recent filing with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth Corporations Division (for corporations) to renew your registration.

Massachusetts general contractor license reciprocity

Massachusetts does not recognize any out-of-state contractor licenses. A Massachusetts-issued CSL is required for any applicable work on buildings or structures in the state.

Out-of-state businesses must register as home improvement contractors if they plan to perform this type of work in Massachusetts. These businesses must provide a foreign corporation certificate of registration from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth with their registration application.

What kind of insurance does a general contractor need in Massachusetts?

In addition to getting your CSL or registering as a HIC, it’s important to have general contractor insurance to protect your business. The following types of insurance are highly recommended for general contractors in Massachusetts.

General Liability insurance

General liability insurance provides coverage for common work-related accidents that can occur in construction, like damage to someone’s property or a client injury.

Workers’ Compensation insurance

If an employee gets hurt on the job, workers’ compensation insurance protects your business by providing coverage for wage protection and medical expenses.

Tools and Equipment insurance

Your gear is critical to your construction work, so you’ll want tools and equipment insurance to cover repairs and replacements if theft or damage occurs.

Commercial Auto insurance

Commercial auto insurance is recommended for general contractors who drive for work. This insurance covers accident-related expenses, such as towing, rental reimbursement, and repairs. 

Commercial Property insurance

If you own or rent property for your business, get commercial property insurance to ensure coverage for damage and vandalism.

What is the certificate of insurance requirement?

Massachusetts does not require construction supervisors to obtain insurance in order to be eligible for licensure or registration. However, this state requires all businesses to carry workers’ compensation insurance for their employees.4 

This requirement extends to out-of-state employers operating in Massachusetts.

How NEXT Insurance supports Massachusetts general contractors

At NEXT Insurance, we provide the affordable and convenient general contractor insurance that you need. You can get self-employed general contractor insurance or general contractor business insurance coverage to help protect your business day in and day out. 

Our online services make it easy to apply for coverage and get a certificate of insurance in just minutes from any computer or mobile device. 

We’ve helped thousands of contractors across the country get affordable insurance designed to meet their unique needs.

Get an instant quote online today.

Are you thinking about becoming a general contractor in another U.S. state? Learn what states require general contractor licenses in our summary of general contractor license requirements.


1 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

2 Construction Supervisor Licensing

3 Home Improvement Contractor Registration

4 Workers' Compensation Insurance Requirements

Massachusetts general contractor license and insurance requirements


About the author
Ashley Henshaw is a contributing writer at NEXT Insurance and a writer and editor at BrainBoost Media. She specializes in small business topics, covering everything from insurance and branding to web hosting and cryptocurrency. Her work is focused on helping independent business owners and entrepreneurs access the tools they need to succeed.
11 general contractor marketing tips to help your business stand out

11 general contractor marketing tips to help your business stand out

4 Types of Construction Contracts - Building a Strong Business Foundation

4 Types of Construction Contracts - Building a Strong Business Foundation

General contractor license requirements by state: NEXT Insurance guide

General contractor license requirements by state: NEXT Insurance guide

What we cover
Chat with Us

Mon – Fri | 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT

© 2022 Next Insurance, Inc. 975 California Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304, United States
Better Business Bureau
Issuance of coverage is subject to underwriting. Not available in all states. Please see the policy for full terms, conditions and exclusions. Coverage examples are for illustrative purposes only. Your policy documents govern, terms and exclusions apply. Coverage is dependent on actual facts and circumstances giving rise to a claim. Next Insurance, Inc. and/or its affiliates is an insurance agency licensed to sell certain insurance products and may receive compensation from insurance companies for such sales. Policy obligations are the sole responsibility of the issuing insurance company. Refer to Legal Notices section for additional information.