Do Business Owner Policies cover independent contractors?
Find out about insurance for independent contractors and how to find the best business owner's policy to protect your interests.
Published June 19, 2023.
Yes, business owner policies (BOPs) can cover independent contractors.
For smaller businesses, liability claims and other risks can be difficult to manage. While a mega-corporation can eat the costs of a lawsuit, independent contractors can take a serious financial hit if not protected by insurance.
So, how can business owner policies help?
Business Owner's Policy
A BOP normally includes two basic policies to help protect your business.
- General liability insurance — Can provide protection from claims relating to third-party bodily injury, property damage, reputational harm, false advertising and copyright infringement
- Commercial property insurance — Helps cover repairs and replacements of business assets, such as inventory, equipment and brick-and-mortar structures
Who can get cover?
A BOP can provide coverage to independent contractors of every stripe, including:
- Construction contractors
- Freelance photographers
- Freelance writers and editors
- Graphic designers
- House and carpet cleaners
» Check out the general contractor license requirements
Benefits of a Business Owner's Policy
Because a BOP can bundle policies into one package, there are a number of plus-sides for independent contractors who purchase this coverage.
- Can provide better financial security
- Can cover potential legal costs
- Helps make doing business easier as clients and other businesses can place more trust in an insured contractor
How NEXT can help independent contractors
Business owner policies offer independent contractors flexible options to insure their businesses. This can be a weight lifted off your shoulders because it means you can be covered for costly claims, such as injury, and costly setbacks, like stolen equipment.
With NEXT, you can get affordable, fast business insurance that's tailored to your specific business needs. Simply apply online and get an instant quote in less than 10 minutes. And once you've chosen your coverage, get your certificate of insurance and share it 24/7 with the NEXT app.