Which expenses are covered by PIP after an auto-related injury?
PIP (personal injury protection) insurance can cover auto-related injuries. Learn which expenses this plan covers and if you need additional insurance.
Updated May 30, 2023.
Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance can cover medical and healthcare expenses related to injuries you or any other passenger got in a car accident, regardless of whose fault it is. PIP insurance can also limit damages if the driver who caused the accident is sued for injuries.
What is covered under PIP?
PIP insurance can cover you until a certain amount. So, if you have PIP coverage of $10,000, but your expenses are $12,000, you can be responsible for the difference. In some cases, your health insurance can cover additional costs.
The expenses your PIP insurance can cover depend on the terms of your policy. It can include:
- Medical expenses: Your PIP insurance can cover the cost of medical treatment, including doctor visits, hospital stays, surgery and prescription medication.
- Lost wages: If you can't work because of the injuries you got in the accident, your PIP insurance can cover your lost income.
- Rehabilitation expenses: Your PIP insurance can cover the cost of rehabilitation activities such as physical and occupational therapy.
- Funeral expenses: In the case of any deaths, your PIP insurance can cover costs related to funeral expenses.
- In-home care: If you need in-home care after the accident, your PIP insurance can cover these expenses.
What do you need to know before applying for PIP?
Remember that PIP coverage varies by state, so it's important to check the specifics of your policy to see what's covered and what's not. For example, some states have mandatory PIP coverage, while it's optional in others.
Not sure if PIP insurance is right for you? At NEXT, we can help you with customized insurance to make sure you're protected where you need it most. Follow our quick online process to get a free quote.
» Need a more comprehensive plan? Let NEXT help with commercial auto insurance