Update 9/13: The sweepstakes is closed!
Our winner is Kate Cofer, who owns the Good Mood Workshop in Bremerton, Washington!
The Good Mood Workshop is a craft space where people can attend workshops, buy supplies, learn new skills and socialize while exercising their creativity.
Check out her winning submission below:
Here’s what Kate says makes her entry so representative of what it means to be a small business owner:
“When you're the owner and only employee, you get to be your very own buyer, merchandiser, PR, social media expert, tech pro, customer service rep, human resources department, accountant and mentor. It means that you have to make every single decision yourself, but it also means YOU GET TO MAKE EVERY SINGLE DECISION YOURSELF! It's so fun! And scary. But fun!”
Congratulations, Kate! As NEXT Insurance’s mission is to help small businesses like the Good Mood Workshop thrive, we’re glad we can support your business with a $5,000 sweepstakes prize.
Our team was mightily impressed by all the creative, heartfelt entries we received. Your entrepreneurial spirit and dedication is inspiring, even with as little as 100 words, an image or short video.
We couldn’t keep them the fun to ourselves, so we’re spotlighting some entries:
Kevin Schwartz - Instrumental Motion, LLC
Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
"I pivoted to producing live streams with multiple cameras. It gave out-of-work music industry personnel a chance to work a few hours or musicians a chance to perform virtually.”
Crystal Thomas - Tropical Express
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
“Our sweepstakes entry represents strength. No matter what the challenges are, we wake up each day and present our best. We are resilient. Beauty is all around us because beauty is what we are. Being a small business owner is a superpower and we use our strength for good.”
Bianka Alloyn and Sabreen Naimah - Cute Coffee
Location: Inverness, California and online
"The photo we have included is from our official launch and first pop-up after four years of pushing forward… Our passion for coffee and creative showcasing kept us strong and able to make this amazing moment happen where Bianka built a coffee cart in a week with full plumbing and electrical.”
Jacob Fu - Local Adventurer
“As a small business owner, we have to wear a lot of hats, learn new skills and keep ourselves accountable.”
Thank you to everyone who entered, and congratulations to Kate!
At NEXT Insurance, not only do we provide tailored, simple, and affordable business insurance to over 250,000 small business owners, we also look for ways to support the small business community however we can. That includes empowering small businesses of all kinds to thrive as much as possible.
After a difficult year for small businesses across the country, we want to celebrate the go-getters who have launched and run their own businesses, as well as support and give back to our community of small business owners.
That’s why we’re thrilled to announce the launch of our first-ever sweepstakes, where small business owners can flaunt creative, unique photos or videos of their businesses for a chance to win $5,000 and a chance to be featured on NEXT Insurance’s social media.
But there’s a twist … through your entry, we want you to tell us you’re a small business owner, without TELLING us you’re a small business owner. Read on for more information!
What we’re looking for
So, what do we mean by “tell us you’re a small business owner, without TELLING us you’re a small business owner?”
Basically, we’re looking for super unique, creative representations of the small business owner's lifestyle.
Whether it’s through a photo or short video (30-seconds or less), communicate to us something fun and compelling, even something hilarious, about your business or your life as a small business owner.
Entries could show what your small business is known best for or what you feel represents you as a small business owner. BUT you must not explicitly show your small business’ name, logo, or other immediately recognizable features. Get creative!
Check out these examples for ideas for your submission:
What you might say: “Any online business owner will know what this is about. I love creating things, but the post office workers joke that they’re my co-workers since I’m there all the time!”
What you might say: “No old coffee or stale candy for us. We may not have a traditional meeting room to strategize in, but our snacks are way better than most offices.”
What you might say: “Multitasking is one of the most important skills you can have as a small business owner. At any given moment, I might be baking bread, calculating expenditures in my head, and checking surfing conditions on my phone, all at the same time. I’m passionate about my business, but I try to balance it with other things I love.”
Whether your business is a restaurant, yoga studio, a cleaning service, dog-walking business, farm stand, or something never seen before, we want to bring life as a small business owner to the forefront. We’d particularly love to see submissions from women and minority-owned businesses.
How to enter
Applicants must be 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply.
To enter the sweepstakes, you MUST SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY TO THE FORM BELOW BEFORE AUGUST 27, 2021 where you’ll be asked to upload your photo or video. Please keep videos to 30 seconds or less in length.
The form also requests your name and email address, to notify the winner once they have been randomly selected.
Any participants who do not complete the entry form will not have an official entry into the sweepstakes.
Enter the sweepstakes here:
If you have a Twitter or Instagram account for your business, use the hashtag #TellMeWithoutTellingMe to join the conversation online and share your photo or video with fellow entrants. (This doesn’t get you more entries though!)
The deadline for sweepstakes submissions is August 27, 2021. Entrants will need to submit via the link by that date to be considered. After this date, no further entries to the sweepstakes will be permitted. The winner will be randomly selected.
What you’ll receive
The winner will be announced on September 10, 2021. The winner will receive a $5,000 Visa gift card.
The legal stuff
Next Insurance Tell Us You’re A Small Business” Sweepstakes Official Rules
The Next Insurance Tell Us You’re A Small Business” Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") is subject to these Official Rules except as expressly stated otherwise. No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment will not increase your chances of winning. The Sweepstakes is administered by Next Insurance, Inc. 975 California Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304 (the “Sponsor”).
2. Sweepstakes Period: Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (“PDT”) on July 14, 2021 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT August 27, 2021 (the “Sweepstakes Period”). During the Sweepstakes Period, Sponsor will conduct one (1) drawing to determine a winner (“Drawing”).
3. How to Enter the Sweepstakes. There is one way to enter:
Online entries: access the online entry form at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdhh3Jki6k20SaJ5GGXyPVLP4_HzFse01ExMTrxvxv-S0rbgg/viewform and provide the information requested, which includes your name, your email address, and the name of your small business. In the space provided, upload a photo or video that tells us you’re a small business without telling us you’re a small business. You will be prompted to describe to us why your business should win in the space provided. Please limit your response to 100 words or less.
Online entries must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. PDT on the sweepstakes end date as outlined above, and according to the computer time on Sponsor’s website or site. Any entries received after 11:59 p.m. on day the Sweepstakes ends will not be considered. Incomplete, garbled, corrupted or illegible entries are void and will not be accepted. Entries containing non-original photos or photos not taken by Entrant are void and will not be accepted. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, damaged, delayed, destroyed, misdirected, or incomplete entries. All entries become the property of the Sponsor. Persons discovered entering under multiple identities will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify false entries or entries suspected of being false. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the Selected Sweepstakes Entrant, the Selected Entrant will be deemed to be the person in whose name the Instagram account was opened.
4. Odds: Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received. Only one entry per natural person, regardless of method of entry. Individuals discovered entering more than one time will be disqualified.
5. Winner Selection and Notification of Selected Entrant:
Each qualified entry will be entered into a random Drawing to take place about 9:00 a.m. PDT, on or about the day after the Sweepstakes Period ends (winners will be notified on or about September 10th, 2021), by a representative of Sponsor, from among all qualified entries received during the Sweepstakes Period (“Selected Entrant”).
The Selected Entrant will be sent an email using the information provided in the entry form (if using the website), or via direct message on Instagram or Twitter to confirm prize. Because the prize value exceeds $600, Selected Entrant will have to provide additional information, including social security number, for tax purposes. Selected Entrant will have seventy-two (72) hours to respond and claim his/her/their prize. If Selected Entrant does not respond with 24 hours, a new winner may be selected at Sponsor’s option. Selected Entrant may also be sent a declaration of eligibility / liability / intellectual property / publicity release (“Release”). Unless restricted by law, Selected Entrant will be required to complete and return the Release within five (5) days from the date of notification. An alternate Selected Entrant may be randomly selected from among the remaining eligible entries if the Selected Entrant: (i) cannot be reached; (ii) fails to obtain all signatures on the Release and to return the documents in a timely manner as required pursuant to these Official Rules; or (iii) cannot accept or receive the prize for any reason. Selected Entrant will have the Prize sent by mail within eight (8) to ten (10) business days of the date on which the Sponsor receives the Selected Entrant’s address and the completed, signed Release (exact timing subject to change based upon availability of Prize). In the event of a dispute about the identity of an Entrant, each entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the Instagram, Twitter, or email account submitted at time of entry.
6. Grand Prize: The following Grand Prize will be awarded to one (1) potential winner. The total ARV for the Grand Prize is $5,000 for Selected Entrant. The Prize may be awarded as a Visa Gift Card or by electronic transfer, or by paper check, at Sponsor’s discretion and choice. In the event the Prize is awarded by Visa Gift Card, you will be bound by the terms of the card, which are not under sponsor’s control or direction.
Selected Entrant is solely responsible for any and all federal, state, and local taxes on prize. If prize notification or any prize is returned as undeliverable, or if Selected Entrant may not accept or receive a prize for any reason, prize will be forfeited.
7. Restrictions: No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of prize permitted, provided however that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason, and no winner is entitled to any difference between the actual value and the retail value of any prize. Sponsor will not make multiple attempts to contact Selected Entrant. Winners cannot assign or transfer their prize to another person or business. Delivery of prize will be made by private mail carrier after Sponsor verifies that Winner has met all eligibility requirements, including ownership of the small business.
8. Publicity: By participating in the Sweepstakes, any Entrant in the Sweepstakes, irrevocably grants the Sponsor and its respective successors, assigns and licensees, the right to use such Entrant’s name, the submitted photograph (or video, if a video is submitted), and/or Entrant’s personal information in any and all media for any purpose, including without limitation, commercial, advertising and promotional purposes as well as in, on or in connection with the Website or the Sweepstakes or other promotions, and hereby release the Sponsor from any liability with respect thereto, unless prohibited by law.
9. General Conditions: By participating, and Except where prohibited, Entrants agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Sweepstakes or these Official Rules. Any portion of the Sweepstakes may be canceled, suspended and/or modified, in whole or in part, if in our opinion any fraud, technical failure or other factor beyond our control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Sweepstakes. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsman-like or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, and Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. You may not enter with multiple identities or use any automated system, bot or other device or artifice to enter or obtain more than the maximum number of qualified entries. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. All federal, state or other tax liabilities (including income taxes) arising from this Sweepstakes will be the sole responsibility of Selected Entrant. Winner, and will be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of the awarded prize. Caution: any attempt to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be in violation of criminal and civil laws and will result in disqualification from participation in the Sweepstakes. Should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorney fees) to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution, except where prohibited.
10. Limitations of Liability: If for any reason an entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, the Entrant's sole remedy is another entry in the same Sweepstakes during the Sweepstakes Period. Except where prohibited, Entrants also agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively “Releasees”) from and against any claims, damages, disability, attorneys' fees, and costs of litigation and settlement, as well as any liability due to any injuries, damages or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from: (i) use, redemption, acceptance, possession, ownership, or misuse of any prize, (ii) participation in any activity, event, or excursion offered in connection with the prize, (iii) use of any facility, service and/or accommodation related to the prize, or (iv) participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity or participation in this Sweepstakes. The Releasees shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, misdirected, incomplete unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries, communications or affidavits, regardless of the method of transmission; (ii) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a prize, or from participation in the Sweepstakes; or (v) any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any materials associated with the Sweepstakes. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Releasees are not responsible for delays or cancellations related to a pandemic, including COVID-19, computer malfunctions, network connections, email delivery problems, systems failure or incompatibility, typographical, technical or key-stroke errors, or interruptions in your internet service, and for incomplete, illegible, misdirected, misprinted, late, lost, damaged or stolen notifications. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Sweepstakes as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to pandemic, fire, flood, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, or any federal, state or local government law, order, or regulation, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor’s control (each a "Force Majeure" event or occurrence), then subject to any governmental approval which may be required, Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Sweepstakes. If the Sweepstakes is terminated before the designated end date, Sponsor will (if possible) select the winner from all eligible, non-suspect Submissions received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
11. Disputes: Disputes regarding these Official Rules and/or this Sweepstakes will be governed by the internal laws of California. Decisions of Sponsor are binding and final. In the event of a dispute as to any entry, the authorized account holder of the Instagram address will be deemed to be the Entrant. No claimant in any dispute involving Sponsor shall be entitled to claim or obtain indirect, punitive, incidental or consequential damages. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any provision in these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
12. Sweepstakes Results: For Sweepstakes results and/or a copy of these Official Rules, within 120 days, send an email to NEXT Insurance with the title “Next Insurance Tell Us You’re A Small Business Sweepstakes” in the subject line.
© 2021, Next Insurance, Inc. All rights reserved.