How does the CCC exclusion work?
General liability coverage handles financial losses if someone gets injured on your premises. It also covers you if your operations or products cause bodily injury or property damage. Think of it as a safety net for your property against various types of claims.
Without a CCC exclusion, general liability coverage extends to injuries or damages that occur while you have care, custody or control of someone else’s property. However, if your general liability policy has a CCC exclusion, you won’t receive any protection in these cases.
Care, custody and control exclusion scenarios
The CCC exclusion could apply in the following scenarios:
- A mechanic damages a client’s car while it’s in their workshop.
- A dry cleaner stains a client’s dress.
- A jeweler scratches a client’s watch during a repair.
- A dog is injured while being walked by its dog walker.
- A real estate agent damages a wall while showing a house.
CCC exclusions apply when businesses are in charge of someone else’s property. Because of the CCC exclusion, general liability may not cover damages.
What insurance fills the gaps for the care, custody, and control exclusion?
There are several policies that cover property loss caused by the CCC exclusion.
- Garagekeeper liability. This is insurance for businesses like auto repair shops. It covers damages to customers’ vehicles while in your care.
- Bailee coverage: This is insurance for items you’re entrusted with. For example, if you’re a dry cleaner and a customer’s clothes get damaged, this coverage handles it.
Protect your business with NEXT
Navigating the intricacies of insurance doesn’t have to be daunting. NEXT is committed to simplifying insurance and helping you get the coverage your business needs.
For a tailored quote in under 10 minutes, simply apply online and answer a few questions. Once you’ve settled on your coverage, you can easily access and share your certificate of insurance anytime, anywhere, through our web or app.
If you have questions, our licensed, U.S.-based insurance professionals are ready to help.
Start a free instant quote with NEXT today.